simple is beautiful
New York Daily Photo: The Unexpected
2 ... 2 ...

Wednesday 15 October 2008

The Unexpected

You do the expect the unexpected in New York City, but when I overheard a conversation about waterfalls which were built and installed in the NYC waterways, I was quite astounded.
On my recent excursion to Coney Island, we took the back roads and ran across a pair of these waterfalls unexpectedly. I had completely forgotten about their existence. The lighting conditions were awful - shooting into direct sunlight in the afternoon is generally a photographic taboo, but duty called and I was fortunate that one of these photos actually added to the drama of the situation.
The setting for this waterfall was the Brooklyn waterfront - with the metal framework the entire scene had a very industrial tone. Not a touch of humanity or dramatic nature one would expect from a waterfall. I did not dwell there long - my compatriots were waiting in a car as I jockeyed into the best position for this photo op.
This is one of four waterfalls along the East River ranging from 90 to 120 feet tall - a $15.5 million art installation by artist Olafur Eliasson. New York City Waterfalls was done in collaboration with the Public Art Fund. They are on from 7AM to 10PM and illuminated after sunset. You can read more about them at the official website here - there is video and photos of the falls with an interview with the artist. When visiting or living in this city, the unexpected will happen and it's more fun when you are not expecting it ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment